Thursday, January 1, 2009

A to Z Fashion Survey

I'm working on my New Year's fashion resolutions, but in the meantime, here's an end of the year fashion survey, from A to Z (taken from here):

A: What accessories do you wear everyday?
Just my beloved flattened freshwater pearl necklace from Anthropologie.

B: What is your beauty routine?
I'm a devoted Cetaphil gentle cleanser user, with St. Eve's apricot scrub in the shower and Elta MD UV Facial SPF 30 Moisturizing Lotion in the morning.

C: What was the last item of clothing (for yourself) that you purchased?
Those black Banana Republic mary-jane pumps I posted about a few days ago. I am very excited for them to arrive in the mail! And if shoes don't count as clothing, then two Victoria's Secret Dream Angel Ipex Demi Bras, $23.99 in stores and $33.50 online, one dark purple and the other a bluish grey. I think I'm going to need go back to VS in the next few days and see if I can find some underwear to match.

D: Do you use a dresser, closet, or both?
Both. I am a very spoiled girl and have two closets in my bedroom in NY, and in between is a massive Ikea dresser. I like having the dresser, because when I'm too lazy to hang up my clothes I can throw them in any open drawer, leaving the clean-up for later.


E: What type of earrings are in your ears right now?
None. I really only wear earrings when I'm getting really dressed up. I'm lucky, I think, because I got my ears pierced when I was around 7 or 8--long ago enough that I can go six months without wearing earrings and the holes won't close up.

F: What type of figure do you have (measurements)?
I hope to look like an hourglass but, realistically, I may be more of a pear.

G: Do you wear glasses?
I own a pair that I could five years ago, when my vision first started going down the drain, but I wear contacts instead.

H: What type of handbag do you carry?
I just switched to Urban Outfitters' Sadderly Buckle Bag, $58, which I've blogged about before and got for Christmas. At first I was horribly disappointed because they sold out of the darker brown color I originally wanted, and I had to settle for a less exciting "tan." But it's still a nice bag and a big improvement over my thoroughly beat-up handbag from some H&M rip-off in Poland.

I: What is your ideal style?
The unfailingly classy look of Charlotte York (from whom I take my blogging name), mixed with the younger, slightly deranged look but always impeccably put-together look of Blair Waldorf, with a hint of Lauren Conrad's not-trying-too-hard cool. Anything and everything Mad Men is perfection, too.








J: What is your favorite brand of jeans?
I wear Gap pretty much exclusively, but in 2009 I'm hoping to branch out and find a hotter brand.

K: Do you wear knee-high stockings?
Nope. Sometimes knee-high socks under boots, and sometimes thigh-high stockings under dresses, but never knee-high stocking.

L: Do you *have* to wear matching lingerie?
I have maybe two or three pairs of underwear that match a bra, and since I usually don't go commando: no.

M: Do you wear makeup?
Oh, yes. Clinque foundation, Covergirl powder, Almay mascara, and eyeliner if I'm feeling fancy.

N: Do you wear nightgowns?
Occasionally. Also, sometimes I fall asleep wearing a dress.

O: What outerwear do you put on when going out on a typical winter's day?
If it's bone-chillingly cold, my dark green Andrew Marc wool-cashmere coat. If it's in the 40's or higher, I like to wear my navy blue puffer jacket from American Eagle, which has a huge furry hood that makes me feel extra cozy.

P: What is your favorite perfume?
I'm not really a perfume girl, but when I remember to spritz it on: Falling in Love, by Philosophy.

Q: Is your motto "quality over quantity" when it comes to clothing and accessories?
I wish I could say yes, but the truth is that I'm way more likely to buy a cheap dress from H&M than anything with a designer label. I know that you're never too young to start building a high-quality wardrobe, but as a college student and unpaid intern, I'm forced to stick to what's on sale at the Gap.

R: Do you wear rain boots?
Yes! And I got them on sale at the Gap for $7! I'm not crazy about them because they're so heavy that they're not easy to walk in, but I adore splashing through puddles and maintaining my dry socks.

S: Do you wear socks or slippers when your feet get cold?
Socks, sure. (This is a weird question. Who's going to answer, "No, I don't own any socks because I believe in toughing it out.")

T: Do you have a set of travel luggage?
Sigh, I wish. I dream of having a set like the Louis Vuitton luggage in The Darjeeling Limited. For now, though, I'm just happy that my Land's End suitcase holds a ton of clothes and is easy to spot on the airport baggage carousal.

U: What is your daily uniform?
When it's not freezing, J.Crew boots, jersey dress in a solid color with empire waist, and a cardigan. When it's colder or I'm lazy, ballet flats with jeans and a sweater.

V: If you are married, did you wear a veil with your wedding dress?
Not married, but I don't think I'm a veil sort of girl.

W: Do you wear a watch?
For most of my life I always had a digital Timex on my wrist, but it broke over the summer and I haven't gotten around to replacing it (another resolution!).

X: What item of clothing always makes you feel beautiful?
Why is this X? Anyway, anything with a V-neck and sort of emphasis on my waist.

Y: What is your favorite type of yarn?
Is modal a type of yarn? I'm a fan of any sort of soft jersey.

Z: Do you prefer zippers or buttons?
Zippers on jeans, buttons on cardigans, and snaps on men's shirts (for purposes of ripping open dramatically).

I hope this wasn't too boring! If you decide to fill this out, too, let me know so I can read it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A to Z Fashion Survey

A: What accessories do you wear everyday?
1. A small silver hoop earring on my left cartilage
2. Silver bracelet from my sorority initiation
3. Silver ring on right finger. WHICH I lost two days ago because it slipped off my finger into a crack in my boyfriend's car.

B: What is your beauty routine?
1. Neutrogena Deep Clean facewash
2. Biore Nourish Moisture Lotion (SPF 15 YES!)
3. a little bit of BareMinerals to conceal darkness under my eyes (the curse of olive skin!) and around my nosie.

C: What was the last item of clothing (for yourself) that you purchased?
This question is unfair because it reminds me of all the shopping I've done recently. Too much. A whole mess of Anthro, a whole mess of Urban, a couple Free People shirts, a couple pairs of underwear...

D: Do you use a dresser, closet, or both?
I agree on throwing messes into dressers. Except I don't tidy up afterwards because usually I'm too lazy and don't really care if my clothes are wrinkled. I'll hang nicer things up, but by the end of a few weeks, everything is in a pile on my floor, top of my dresser, or some drawer.


E: What type of earrings are in your ears right now?

I love earrings. All kinds. Especially crazy and unique ones, but I find myself usually wearing subtle studs like the ones I have in now. Gold circle studs with tiny sapphires in the center.

F: What type of figure do you have (measurements)?
I don't know my measurements. Does anyone?

G: Do you wear glasses?
Sometimes. I bought a pair of D&G eyeglasses my senior year of high school but don't wear them regularly-- though I do get compliments when I do! I also have a pair of almost-emo DKNY black reading glasses that I wear even more infrequently.

H: What type of handbag do you carry?
I don't usually. At school I have a few large bags that can fit my notebooks, laptop, books, etc and if I'm ever at home going somewhere I need a bag, I'll use one of those and stuff it full of things I usually need like a warm sweater (because I'm usually freezing), moisturizer, chapstick, iPod, a book, said reading glasses I never wear, wallet, keys, emergency makeup compact, hairbrush... All of these things never get used but they fill the bags up nicely.

I: What is your ideal style?
I usually like to go with a simpler, hey-I-like-lounging-and-I-don't-care-what-I-really-look-like look... I often wear jeans and a shirt, maybe a graphic tee from Urban but most often it's some kind of crocheted shirt from Anthropologie or a patterned tank with a cardigan. I do love me some cardigans. Always some kind of moccasin or flat. Heels are rare. I guess you can say my style is a little bit hippie. I like where I'm at right now.

J: What is your favorite brand of jeans?
Express. I think everyone has trouble finding jeans that fit well…

K: Do you wear knee-high stockings?
No. I don't wear stockings. I'll wear the OCCASIONAL patterned sweater tight, but they go all the way up.

L: Do you *have* to wear matching lingerie?
No, but if I'm trying to look sexy I will.

M: Do you wear makeup?
Yes. BareMinerals for my face, and perhaps a little brown eyeliner just on the outside corners. If I’m feeling like doing it up, I like the Rimmel colored eyeliners cause they show up on my skin… green on the inside top and a thin, smudged line of white on the bottom inside corner to brighten things up. Mascara maybe, but I usually just smudge my eyeliner.

N: Do you wear nightgowns?
No.

O: What outerwear do you put on when going out on a typical winter's day?
I’m usually underdressed for the weather, but in Chicago for New Year’s I wore a black wool blend Anthropologie coat, Free People patterned cowl neck scarf I’m in love with, and gloves.

P: What is your favorite perfume?
Shanghai Butterfly, Nanette Lepore. When I remember.

Q: Is your motto "quality over quantity" when it comes to clothing and accessories?
I’m a college kid. I’m trendy. Right now it doesn’t matter if my stuff is designer. Actually, I don’t really think I’m ever going to care if my stuff is designer. I’m most likely not working in an office, and don’t need fancy suits. I think that good shopping is a blend of quality and quantity. Otherwise, you have a small wardrobe and you repeat outfits a lot. Gross.

R: Do you wear rain boots?
THE BRIGHT ORANGE HENRI BENDEL WELLIES I wrote you about last year!

S: Do you wear socks or slippers when your feet get cold?
I think the question was which do you wear, socks or slippers? Usually I stick my feet in my Minnetonka moccasins, which I love because the lining is so furry and soft. But I wear them outside too which I shouldn’t because it’s ruined them… but they’re so comfy sometimes I’m just too lazy to take them off.

T: Do you have a set of travel luggage?
I do but I generally only use the smallest one because I’m a light packer.

U: What is your daily uniform?
Jeans. Patterned top. Flats. Maybe one piece of jewelry, whether it be earrings/necklace/bracelet. That’s it.

V: If you are married, did you wear a veil with your wedding dress?
Not married. I don’t know if I would. Maybe.

W: Do you wear a watch?
Never.

X: What item of clothing always makes you feel beautiful?
A great dress makes me feel like I’m actually trying and hey-I-look-good…

Y: What is your favorite type of yarn?
Thick and warm. Knitted cardigans.

Z: Do you prefer zippers or buttons?
Zippers on bottom, buttons on top.

Secondhand Stella said...

I filled one out and put it on my blog.

http://brileeo.blogspot.com/

Your blog is cute :)

Julia York said...

Lena, you're right, I totally misread the socks or slippers questions and now I feel sort of silly. But I love your survey answers, especially your enthusaism for the orange Henri Bendel wellies :D

BrianneLee, thanks for filling out the survey! Your vintage style sounds gorgeous. And I like your blog too!