Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Inspired by Miss Dior Cherie

A few weeks ago, one Miss Alexandra Hepburn brought the below video into my life, a commercial for the Miss Dior Cherie perfume, directed by Sofia Coppola. I've been pretty much obsessed with it ever since.



Why, oh, why is this not my life? Why am I not the one skipping around Paris, eating delicate fruit pastries and going in for dress fittings and flirting with cute boys while riding a bike, all before floating away with a bunch of balloons?

But besides the charming vibe of the commercial, I'm also obsessed with the model's dress. I couldn't dig up a great picture of it, but here are some shots to get a better look at that dreamy pink dress:
And here's the Dior Cherie print ad, with another great pink dress (although the model looks really uncomfortable in that pose):
Naturally, I am now on the hunt for a pink dress of my own. Here's the one I would buy if I was Little Miss Moneybags, gold-digging girlfriend of Scrooge McDuck. From Lela Rose, the silk faille dress is so so pretty, but way out of my league at $1,095. The cap sleeves, rounded neckline, and full skirt are very, "I am French and I don't need to show ze skin!", and the pale blush color is perfect for those who think only little girls can pull off pink. I think the mannequin is doing this dress a disservice, though-- she doesn't seem to be quite filling out the top. I really dislike Net-a-Porter's mannequins; it's like, you're one of the top online retailers of designer goods, everything on your site is at least a grand, can you not afford some cute models to make your clothes look appealing? Everything on Net-a-Porter looks so lifeless, because of these sad mannequins.


See, this J.Crew dress is on a mannequin, but since it's just a plain dress form, not a shiny faux-model, it's way less creepy. Anyway, thesilk chiffon Sophia dress, $49.99, in tulip, has all the delicate and feminine qualities required in a good pink dress. I like how the subtle overlap detail on the front bodice is replicated in the v-back opening, and how the length of the skirt exactly walks the line between "young and fun" and "demure and appropriate." Also, I'm guessing here, but I think the fabric and chiffon overlay would prevent those unsightly wrinkles on your lap that show so clearly when you sit down in lighter color fabrics.

If you're a little gun-shy about wearing pink, then this J.Crew cotton cady Lydia dress, $89.99, might be a better choice. It's just about the lightest shade of pink possible-- if you weren't paying attention, you'd think it was white. The pleated full skirt, however, is perfect for flouncing around Paris running glamorous errands.


Look, a real live model! I want to buy this dress so much more now that I've seen how great it'll look when I take an intriguing train trip with my alligator suitcase and a chivalrous stranger. Nice going, Anthropologie. The Purling Steam Dress, $298, features a whimsical curlicue print, which I think is within the spirit of Miss Dior Cherie, if not the letter. The ruffles around the neckline are a little Victorian, but combined with the sheath shape, the dress has a retro yet un-costumey effect.

7 comments:

Madelyn said...

i wish that commercial was my life too! it was on and i said that to my mom and she didn't understand. oh, mom.

Anonymous said...

That commercial's so cute. I love that you see her use the perfume for like a split second.

Andrea Winslet said...

That commercial is amazing, but I couldn't help but think of this while watching it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5hrUGFhsXo

Maybe I'm just bitter that I could never wear that dress, as pale peachy-pink washes me out like no other.

Anonymous said...

Love this dress in the commercial and love the commercial. Sorry but there is no replacement for the original--it's that dress, or nothing:(

Kelly said...

So im wondering was there only one of the pale pink dresses made specifically for the advert? Its just too pretty for words :) xxx

h. said...

Okay, so I randomly ended up on your blog post because I was looking for pictures of the anthropologie blushing faille dress . . . which just so happens to be a sort of look-a-like to the faille dress pictured here. It isn't dirt cheap ($188) but it is much cheaper than the "real deal". Lovely post, the Lydia dress is a particularly pretty "back-up".

best eye cream for wrinkles said...

Great post - I´m in love with that commercial too - I wish my life could be that pretty, flirty and parisian :) My dad calls me a dreamer..and I really don´t understand why :)