Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ruffles: Pro and Con

No promises, but I'm hoping to find time to do a real post on the SAG awards before the week is up. Until then, I just wanted to spotlight one gown:
Amy Adams wore Giambattista Valli, and I wasn't a fan. The eggplant color is gorgeous, sure, and it's mostly figure-flattering and not off-the-wall crazy (see Hatcher, Teri). But that ruffle? A mistake. I love a well-placed ruffle, don't get me wrong, but you can't just stick one in the middle of the dress and expect it to work. Especially with the slightly daring boob cups on the bodice... you don't want a ruffle to compete with that. It sort of reminds me of that episode of Friends where Phoebe gets a hummus stain on her dress and decides to cover it up with a giant Christmas bow.

Here's how an assymetrial ruffle should be worn. This Lewis Cho Dark Red Mini Dress, $240, is a lot simpler and more casual, but it also annoys me a lot less. I like how the slanted neckline leads into the beginning of the ruffle, so it looks more organic to the dress, not like someone just stuck it to the bodice. Also, you could wear this dress and still hug people--always a big plus!

This dress is being sold at LuvCharlie.com, which is offering 30% off everything (I think?) with the code HAPPY30. J.Crew is also offering an extra 30% off their Final Sale items, through Friday.

2 comments:

Lena said...

I have to disagree. I like the eggplant dress. I like the placement of the ruffle, and how the bottom seems to be pulling in the fabric from the hips.

Whereas, on the red, first of all the model needs a new face because I think we've seen her before and I remember disliking her. Secondly, I don't like the asymmetrical neckline cause I think my OCD would make my neck feel itchy. Also I think that the ruffle looks like a dead vine someone slung over her shoulder. It needs a little more life!

Anonymous said...

Have to agree with Lena. Love the eggplant dress, HATE the red one