Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Fantasy Resort Wear

I think that resort wear is basically a mean joke the fashion industry plays on middle class people (and you can insert the expected comment about These Economic Times and Wall Street vs. Main Street and how the whole world is going to end, etc), but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop lusting over all sorts of vacation-inspired clothes.

I especially want this Diane von Furstenburg Vidal Chevron Stripe Silk Jersey Dress, $298. You could throw this into your suitcase with a toothbrush and a bikini and be done with it, because it's light and fun enough to be worn as a beach cover-up but also substantial and classy enough to be worn to dinner. I especially love the knotted rope at the neckline (since you know I go crazy for anything nautical-inspired), and the sexy keyhole opening on the top. The V shaped stripes are a nice touch, too, for a playful and original look. I mean, it's von Furstenburg: of course it's going to be flawless.

These shoes don't really match this dress, but they do have the same effect of conjuring up white sand beaches and drinks that come with half a pineapple stuck on the glass. From Maud Bowie, the Blue Wedge, $85, has a distinctly tropical gold Bamboo print on a sophisticated blue patent background. The thick straps are more substantial than what you'd usually find on a resort sandal, which means you could easily rock these wedges when you (sadly, reluctantly) return to the city.

I'm a fan of the complicated bathing suit that'll give you insane tan lines-- but only on other people. If I saw someone rocking this Zimmermann Bo Feather Lace Up One Piece, $138, I'd have no choice but to admire their commitment to standing out from the crowd. A strait jacket has never look so sexy, right?



But I tend to get more subdued swimsuits (and cheaper, because any piece of clothing that can't be worn in public isn't worth a substantial amount of money). I really like these two suits from Urban Outfitters: The Despi Tonal Dot Halter Top, $58, and bottom, $58, has a subtle but still youthful polka dot print, and fun details like the knotted halter straps and gathered waistband. (Sidenote: This model's boobs have to be fake, right? How can she have those little boy arms and hips and such an admirable rack? Could be photoshop or stuffing, but either way I'm not buying it.)

The Billabong Piped Halter Top and Boardshort, $48 each, are also adorable. I'm obsessed with the buttons on bottoms-- very Sgt. Pepper's Beach Volleyball Club.

2 comments:

kadler said...

Love that DVF dress. It's adorable. And I agree about resort wear :)

Unknown said...

o5x08t7x71 e7x35l6w02 d1v68c6x03 a9h81n7p00 i1i45o2b76 s9d83i9m16