Saturday, March 1, 2008

Because not ALL New Yorkers wear all black

New York Magazine just ran a feature on New Yorkers who wear the same color exclusively every day (other than black!). It's really fascinating; you can read it here. The corresponding photos are really impressive because each persons' style is distinctive and specific despite their being relegated to wearing only one color. I'm going to tap into my inner curator and post some color-saturated spring pieces, as well as the photographs that were my inspiration. While I can't see myself wearing head-to-toe of one of these colors, these New Yorkers prove that the monochromatic look can be pulled off brilliantly.

Pictures and quotes are from nymag.com.

BLUE


Valeria “ValBlu” McCulloch: "In college, I majored in color theory. Blue was the most interesting color, historically. Germanic tribes wore it to ward off enemies; Christians used it to denote divinity. Wearing blue for me is being in a dream all day."




Elizabeth Sweetheart: "I’m from Nova Scotia, where green is in your surroundings. I missed nature when I moved to New York. I started wearing green nail polish, and it spread all over me."




Rebecca Turbow: "I like everything to be clean, and gray is clean. Gray is between black and white, so it’s a noncolor, almost. I feel messy and unclean if I wear other colors."




Karim Rashid: "In college, I was obsessed with wearing all white. I felt angelic and free.... My mother dressed me in pink when I was a child. She wanted me to be a girl."




Stephin Merritt: "The great thing about brown is when it fades, you can’t tell what color it originally was. There’s no sense of the 'right' color saturation."


Sharon Gill Maui Brown Tunic, $169
Vintage Alligator Doctor Bag, $895
Marc by Marc Jacobs Silk Cotton Faille Short, $198
Via Spiga Zebra Print Trench Coat, $168
Marc by Marc Jacobs Studded Round Face Watch, $250
Cha Cha Sweet Jane Bag, $295

2 comments:

Julia York said...

Even though we may disagree on whether turquoise is blue or green, this is an excellent post and I commend you.

Ryan said...

Though I would never consider wearing all blue, that woman's closet was visually stunning. And the brown guy was kinda funny for some reason. Glad you shared this article.