Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Lust List

I like coming up with themes that tie together the different lovely things I post about here. Not only does it create a sense of order that appeals to me, I can imagine fabulous girls I've never met agonizing over, "What the hell am I going to wear to Diddy's VMA party on his yacht?", serendipitously coming across this blog, and averting a potential crisis.

But sometimes my bookmark bar gets flooded with sundry, crave-worthy things that just aren't related to each other. So, instead of rounding up a bunch of other things that I have lukewarm feelings for the sake of continuity, I'm going to break the rules and post about the things that inspire bona fide, red-hot lust. You might want to crack open a window before you keep reading.

Vintage Frank Usher Dress, $450
This Grecian-inspired dress from the 1970s, with its generous layers of slinky fabric, is the perfect thing to wear out to cocktails at a trendy bar in the West Village when you want to look polished but still be your fab, quirky-cool self. Or grocery shopping, whatever (yeah, I go grocery shopping in my silk dresses and 4-inch heels; I always get the weirdest looks, too).

Via Spiga "Osmic" Sandal, $185
Straps of gleaming pewter patent leather that hug the foot; a four-inch heel that enhances the figure. Unsurprisingly, the "Osmic" sandal is only three letters away from being "orgasmic" (yes, I had to go there).

Vintage Suarez Python Skin Clutch Bag, $415
The glammy, luxury-craving part of me loves clothing and accessories made from dead animals; the liberal, bleeding-heart part squirms at the idea of creatures having to suffer so I can wear them. The solution? Vintage python. Think of owning this bag from the 1980s as recycling.

Kiki De Montparnasse Muse Molded Bra, $250, and Demilune Thong, $150
Sexy enough to be shown off but streamlined enough to be worn under your basic button-down and pencil skirt. How much more versatile can your lingerie get?

Kimberly Baker "Amanda" Earrings, $108 (sterling silver) or $148 (18k gold vermeil)
These chain earrings strike the unlikely balance between toughness and femininity. Both delicate and substantial, they can be as easily worn with ripped jeans and a t-shirt as with your favorite LBD.

Norma Kamali Underwire Straight Dress, $325 $195
A second-skin, lingerie-inspired dress in a great lime color that you don't see too much. Throw this baby on, toss on some gold jewelry and some status shades, tie on your metallic sandals, grab your leopard-print clutch purse, and you'll be all set.

Vintage Pilot Sunglasses, $125
Can you tell I'm really into the 70s right now? These tortoiseshell sunglasses are similar to the generic Ralph Lauren/Michael Kors/Marc Jacobs type that everyone has but a little bit cooler.
In case you were wondering how to best accessorize your vintage fox fur trench and little blue dress a la Kate Hudson in Almost Famous, these sunglasses are your answer.

Elizabeth Cole "Jaguar" Earrings, $175
You aspire to someday have a jaguar in the garage; until that wonderful day arrives, settle for wearing them in your ears. These 24k-plated and crystal-encrusted earrings are fierce but not over-the-top (they're tiny at only 1/2" long) for those days when you have to tone it down a little (i.e. visiting the grandparents or attending your cousin's wedding). But don't be fooled by their diminutive size; they're still totally ferosh. Like you, right? Roar!

2 comments:

lena said...

Haha the end got me. Totally ferosh, like you right? Roar!

I love the vision of the outfit you threw together for the green dress. If I owned any of those things, I would definitely do it.

Never fear, Danielle. People read this blog! Maybe I'm not going to Diddy's yacht party, but this blog singlehandedly sold me on t-strap sandals. I had less than friendly feelings toward gladiator sandals before you ladies. And I'm not the only one who reads.

Blogger said...

eToro is the ultimate forex trading platform for rookie and professional traders.