Monday, March 8, 2010

Higher, Faster, Stronger, Cuter

Remember when I was writing, a few weeks ago, about the awesome Olympic hats (USA) and mittens (Canada) and how I want all of them so I can keep that Olympic magic going all winter. Well, never underestimate the power of the internet.

First, the awesome USA rings hat worn by Lindsay Vonn when she won gold; knitting pattern by Belgian Waffle Knit.

Next, the Opening Ceremonies Ralph Lauren moose/reindeer hat, courtesy of Helena Bristow.


And finally, the maple leaf mittens, by Pauline Wickens. My love for Canada was pretty diminished by the lack of Celine Dion at the Closing Ceremonies. I would even have settled for Shania Twain, but no, they give us Avril. So to symbolize my lowered opinion of our Northern neighbors, I'm only willing to knit mini Olympic mittens. Too small to wear, but perfect to put on a bulletin board or Christmas tree next year. (Sidenote: the last two knitting patterns are from Ravelry, which you need to be a member of to see more than one pattern. It's free to sign up, and really easy, and if you're into knitting patterns it's worth the 30 second hassle).

While I'm on the subject of the Olympics (and while I'm having issues with the fact that it's over), let's talk figure skating costumes! There were plenty of monstrosities, but there were a few that I wanted to have for real-life wear.

First, my #1 Olympic girl crush, the exquisitely named Tessa Virtue:
Her white, sparkly dress worn during the long program made her look like a Disney princess, and I also give her huge bonus points for not doing the flesh-tone mesh that is so rampant in figure skating costumes. It's so rare to see actual skin!

It's not every girl who can do perfect twizzles while wearing a backless dress.

There's nothing Kim Yu-Na can't do, however. She can make finger guns look sassy and sexy, not cheesy! Miracle on ice!
Her short program dress really made her stand out from all the other cheap prom dresses and cheap french prostitute costumes. Black but not boring, shiny but not tacky. Someone (probably the Fug Girls, who are the Joan Didion of fashion blogging--anything that can be said, has been said, and been said better, by the Fug Girls) compared it to a Klimt painting, and I couldn't agree more.

And, for Halloween, I want to be Miki Ando as Princess Jasmine/Cleopatra.


I couldn't find a full body picture, but you can get the general idea. But: lots of flesh tone mesh. Grody on the ice skating rink, but practical for New York in late October!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What do you think about this?
Do you think Kim Yu-na is a real Golden Queen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IJGfxxw7n4