Friday, April 30, 2010

Working Girls

Did you actually think you had seen the last of me? I have a ton of respect and awe for Julia - she's so consistent in keeping OMGWDYGT up and running, while I'm totally unreliable. However, I've recently undergone a sartorial revolution on the heels of my new job, and I find myself once again bitten by the fashion-blogging bug.

So, I'll be honest. When I received the news that I had secured my first "real" job upon graduating from college, what I was most excited about was building my work wardrobe.

I envisioned my closet containing a tightly-edited selection of clothing that was both age-appropriate and professional. I figured the best antidote for fluorescent lighting and bitter coffee was a wardrobe that was anchored with reliable basics and then injected with some quirk from a few carefully chosen statement pieces.

The task was more daunting than I had imagined. What has emerged as the most important criteria for finding work clothes is that they're wearable when I'm on and off the clock. After all, if I wouldn't choose to wear something when I'm, say, grabbing a late sushi dinner with my boyfriend on a Saturday night or hanging out at my friends' apartment watching Gossip Girl, why would I want to spend eight hours in it on a Tuesday? Luckily, I've found some pieces that are both office- and life-appropriate, and they can be dressed up or down with a few choice counterparts.

ONE: THE PATTERNED SKIRT.

As much as I appreciate a good, body-conscious pencil skirt (hello, Joan Holloway), there's something so appealingly breezy about this Factory Floral Skirt, $98, with its vivid print and A-line cut. A plain white button-down and basic black pumps look crisp and smart against its colorful palette:


Perfect Elle Pump, $155 $99.99

On the weekend, dress it down with an androgynous racerback tank and strappy sandals.



TWO: THE SKINNY PANT.

Being a petite girl, my figure looks swallowed whole by pants that have an at all voluminous cut. A streamlined silhouette, like the one provided by these Martin skinny cropped pants, $89.50, is much more flattering. During office hours, this standby pairs well with a frilly cami and, to keep it work-appropriate, brightly colored cardigan:



Versatile slingbacks round out the look:


Off-hours, these pants work just as well with a nautical-inspired striped shirt and espadrilles:


Girlee espadrilles, $59 $39.99

THREE: THE FLOATY TOP.

The polka-dot print is sweet and a little bit retro; the fluttery sleeves and deep v-neck cut - which draw focus to your shoulders and collarbone - make it sexy. At work, this Dotsalota chiffon cami, $138, goes perfectly with an all-business blazer and pencil skirt:



As for shoes - those standby black pumps, you're thinking? What about these instead?


I've yet to invest in brightly colored shoes that are also work-appropriate, but they're on my shopping list; they're a pretty harmless way to add some interest to an otherwise conservative look. I'm such a whore for Stuart Weitzman shoes - you have to love that juxtaposition of a classic shape and sexy but not-quite-garish cherry red patent leather.

On the weekend, channel Jean Seberg and wear the top with a pair of skinny jeans and black leather ballet flats:


2 comments:

Mikaela said...

cuuute!! i love office work-wear. i'll just be wearing unflattering loose scrubs as a nurse, and my sneaks.

not as cute as those red pumps!!

Unknown said...

great suggestions - wonderful sellection of espadrilles for office and everywhere at www.espadrillesetc.com