Thursday, April 22, 2010

Have I been wrong about rompers?

I'm 100% positive that if I went to Coachella, I would spend the entire time nudging my friends and saying, "Did you see that girl's fugly ass outfit? She looks like she fell on the tracks of a Brooklyn bound L train." It'd be like the one time I tried to see Vampire Weekend in Central Park, and while in line tried surreptitiously to photograph a girl with a raccoon tail on her purse. The hipster style is not for me, but I have to admit, this outfit is sort of really cute (via Refinery 29):Between the leather belt and the old-fashioned halter and the sweet white shoes, this hipster girl has managed to make the romper retro-classy. Miracle! And I'll admit, a romper might be a good choice at a music festival, when you'll be sweating a lot but also sitting on the ground (making a dress a bad choice). My only misgiving--besides that all rompers should be burned in a fire--is that you would have to get totally naked while using the Port-a-Potty, which seems very dangerous.

My resistance must be wearing down, because I got an email from Urban Outfitters today and thought, "What a cute dress...no wait, it's a romper...and it's still cute?"
I'm just a sucker for white eyelet fabric and a waist sash.

There's another UO romper that I'm almost too embarrassed to admit I like, because it's very self-consciously hipster.
Samantha Pleet Run Amok Romper, $178
First, let's all acknowledge that this model looks hideously malnourished--her face is screaming, "I haven't eaten in so long that I've completely lost the will to live, and thus am unable to take this ridiculous hat off." That said, look at that super fun fruity print! Don't you want to wear it on a picnic, after going to your local farmer's market for fresh mangoes? The print reminds me of something Betty would wear on Mad Men, in between yelling at Sally and pretending her marriage isn't a nightmare. Of course, she'd wear it as a dress with a full skirt and actual undergarments, and look all the more glamorous. But she wouldn't be able to sit Indian-style on the ground in a dress.

1 comment:

Mikaela said...

"My only misgiving--besides that all rompers should be burned in a fire--is that you would have to get totally naked while using the Port-a-Potty, which seems very dangerous."

HAHAHA!!!