Saturday, February 14, 2009

Zippered Skirt and Dress

Apologies for falling off the face of the earth this past week! I got a bit slammed by homework, which left little time for fashion blogging. But the long weekend--and President's Day sales!-- should give me time to catch up both on my school reading and online shopping.

I've criticized the Sartorialist in the past, and I stand by everything I said about the people he photographs being out of reach of your regular fashion-conscious girl. This girl, for instance, is beautiful and looks great, but look at those shoes: I'd bet a lot of money that she works in the fashion business, based just on those crazy shoes. Also, the tank top/scarf combination is stupid. If it's warm enough to wear a tank, it's too warm to wear a scarf.

However, I LOVE her skirt. I think it's wickedly sexy and very innovative, and I adore how she's wearing it unzipped a just a bit (but not too much). This girl obviously doesn't have much in the way of curves, but the slope of the zipper makes her look way more shapely-- very flattering.


I haven't found a zippered mini as hot, but this dress is a decent alternative. From Larsen Gray, the black zipper dress, $96, is the epitome of not-trying-too-hard cool. Wear it zipped all the way up with tights and flats to class, unzipped a little bit with boots and a colorful jacket on the weekends, and unzipped to the waist with an embellished tank underneath to go out. Also, if you care about this sort of thing, the cotton fabric of this dress is 100% organic and, thus, very eco-friendly.

No comments: